Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Is your TV over the fireplace? Here’s what I’m doing.

 

Did I mention we’ve finally begun construction on our weird 60s living room wall?

It’s pretty chaotic with the backyard renovation happening at the same time, but it’s exciting when you begin to see some progress.

feb9dd7589bd184828d83e7b15aefb16

This is one of the inspiration photos I showed Chuck, the contractor we hired to demo and re-frame our wall.

DSC_0806

And ta-daaaa…..here’s what we started with. Our circa 1966 living room wall.

Since our new home has only one main room for “living,” the big TV is definitely going in here. And although we considered putting it on other walls in this room nothing worked.

The very best viewing spot is over the fireplace. The good news is that the firebox is low and the size of the TV works with the ceiling height. No straining necks, which is nice.

But since it’s my only fireplace in the house, I’m not crazy about losing the chance to have a mantel. TVs don’t bother me. I know they get a bad rap in the decorating world but we love watching movies as a family. And I think one should decorate for one’s lifestyle.

But here’s what I’m doing with our TV.

As a nice little camouflage solution I decided to have miniature barn doors put on a slider and positioned over the TV. You’ve probably seen this already.

60a89321420a799e35275ae8875b0f10

Here’s a picture to give you a better idea. 

 

IMG_1864

The hardware looks almost identical to the hardware on the barn door in my office. 

Behind-Closed-Doors

I love having the option of not having the TV be the focal point.

Regarding materials, I’ve seen the sliding barn doors with dark, rustic wood, but I prefer going with white woodwork and having the doors blend into the wall rather than stand out.

So.

After living several months with some exploratory holes in the wall (“It’s hard to give you a quote when I don’t know what’s behind the wall’ said the contractor ) we finally got started last week.

IMG_2084

IMG_2131

We were so excited to finally have this wall look like this. Ha. Isn’t remodeling a funny process?

Who gets excited by the demo process?

ME!

IMG_2288

The TV will be recessed in the wall.

IMG_2290

Opps. When I came down the stairs I had to break the bad news to Chuck.

I wanted the two light fixtures to be in a header over the bookshelves.

D7

Here’s what I was thinking.

DSC_0249 (2)

Oh well, it all worked out.

IMG_2300

IMG_2301

The hubby wants a rustic brick surround and I have some ideas for the mantel.

But one thing I know for sure.

I’ve been lugging this heavy, architectural remnant with me for years---I still remember seeing it in an antique store and having absolutely NO idea what I’d do with it.

And now here we are. Years later. Living in a beach community…

 

IMG_2309

 

Don’t you think it would look good as part of a mantel?

 

xo

Leslie

 

I’m sharing this post with these friends:

Share Your Style

Style Focus

 

 

29 comments:

Art and Sand said...

You are a genius!

I absolutely love the idea of the barn doors to hide the television. We were without a television of a decade, but when the kids were living here once again they bought Steve one. Now we watch movies on it - I also got hooked on Downton Abbey and Fixer Upper. I still don't know what to do with ours so it sits on a cabinet looking ugly.

I cannot wait to see your finished house - it is going to be amazing.

Lynne said...

Our TV is on an easel. The first one I saw was at Restoration Hardware about 8 years ago. It was very "spendy". We saw an almost identical one several years later at a fine furniture store near our home, and purchased it on a "sale" weekend.

We LOVE our easel, and I LOVE your idea of camouflaging your TV with the barn door effect!

Your home is looking so beautiful, Leslie!
~Lynne
w/L

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

How exciting. Demo is great fun knowing the out come is a vision you've brought to life. I cannot wait to see the finished project. fondly ~lynne~

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Leslie, I love the inspiration pictures and know your design will be just as beautiful!
Hugs,
Sherry

Karen said...

Leslie,
I had to laugh, I'm always excited when we're down to the studs on renovations. I guess it's the possibility of what's next. I love your ideas and our family is the same, we all love movies so TV is essential to us. What you're planning with the barn door cover is going to be wonderful. I love the piece you have, you must find a way to use it, if possible, in the great room.
This is so much fun, following along as you make progress on your beach cottage!
xo,
Karen

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I love the recessed idea and your architectural design. Going to be great!!!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH this is going to be great...I'm excited looking at the demo, too! I love the inspiration photos and can't wait to see how yours turns out...you can come and do my house any day, Leslie! I love your vision!

Gypsy Heart said...

Love barn doors and the small ones to cover the TV will be wonderful! You must find a way to use the special piece in this room. It will be stunning!

xo
Pat

Anonymous said...

It looks like it is coming along very well. Love your ideas for the fireplace wall. It will look perfect with your antique wood piece. Can't wait to see it finished! Patty/NS

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh my this is sooooooo exciting!! I love it all. I usually do not like the idea of a TV over the fireplace but in this case it will be the best of both worlds. And the bookshelves...I think I am possibly more excited than you Leslie. Is that possible?

karen@somewhatquirky said...

It's going to be wonderful! That architectural piece is sublime!!!

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

I always say demo is my favorite part because that's when I know the project is really going to happen! As for the lugged around architectural piece... It's meant to be! Can't wait to see how it all comes together. So happy for you, Leslie!

Leslie said...

Yes.......you don't really know the price until you get "into" the job;) Leslie, I just love the look you are going for and I agree, you do things to that work with your lifestyle. We have two large screen televisions and one is on a wall that is near the kitchen table. It sounds strange but it all works. We wanted a home that we could continue to entertain in and the way we built this .. works for us. Good for you for going with what you want and I can't to see it upon completion. We are just now getting quotes for the outside and what a mess that is after contractors used (what was) the lawn to park their trucks on.

Have a fun weekend ahead! xxL

Debra@CommonGround said...

This is going to be fabulous!! I wouldn't have known what to do with that wall, at all. Love your inspiration pics!

Sheepskinsandfairylights said...

Looking great already, looking forward to seeing it finished, i love the barn doors!!
Happy weekend lovely, Xxx

Thehouseofhampton said...

I love the demo process. Seeing it. Smelling it. Living it. Yup, I love it all. I really appreciate the birth of change and beauty. You did an amazing transformation and it's so inspiring. I'll be staying tuned for further transformations.
Sharon
The House of Hampton

Tamera Beardsley said...

Hey darling did you see A Well Styled Life and Style Mind Chic are doing Friday lifestyle link up parties! Of course I thought of you right away! You are a Queen of Lifestyles … so I though you would love to participate! It just opened on each site at 8:00!

xoxo
Tamera

Carla from The River said...

Wow, I love your idea.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :-))
Carla

cindy hattersley design said...

Leslie you can't go wrong with barn doors! It is going to be fabulous!!

Unknown said...

I love the solution you created for the TV, Leslie. I definitely think your decor element (with beach theme) has found it's true home...finally! Thanks so much for sharing your stylish inspiration with our #sylefocus Lifestyle LinkUp today! Happy weekend my friend!
xx

Lori said...

How exciting!! And that wood piece ~ it is perfect!! Man I do love a good reno ~ I can see your vision and it is going to be beautiful. I cannot wait to see how it progresses. xoxo

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I think it would be a beautiful addition to your mantel Leslie!! That wall is going to be gorgeous...can't wait for the reveal!

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

OMGosh Leslie your fireplace wall is going to be just stunning!I love the idea of the miniature barn doors to cover the TV when not in use. Can't wait to see the final reveal!
Thank you so much for sharing at SYS and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
XO Barbara

La Contessa said...

ABSOLUTELY USE THE MANTLE!
The GIRLS sent me...............fun peeking into others Blogs!Hope you visit me!AND YES< I LOVE THE DEMO MESS TOO!!!!Means progress is being made!
The Vintage Contessa

Middle-aged Diva (Carol) said...

I love your idea. We just finished a renovation. Well 95 percent, anyway. The tV isn't over the fireplace though.

Jennifer said...

I do love the demo part because you know it's on the way to completetion!! I LOVE the idea of being able to hide the TV. Our's monopolizes our room and I can't stand it. Your home is coming alone so beautifully! Thanks for sharing this amazingly inspiirational post with us on #STYLEfocus!
xoxoJennifer

Stonecropsister said...

Hi Leslie,
I love that last piece, cannot wait to see what you do with it. It is so beautiful. Amazing to find something like this. I'm so impressed that you can have an end vision in mind, especially when you started with the 'before' view, which was a doozy, no doubt about it. Wonderful room. xx Nancy

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh I love where this is going! You have a wonderful vision for the potential of this home. You are definitely on your way to an amazing space!

Simply LKJ said...

Leslie, I love the direction you are taking with this renovation. Love the use of the barn doors. And yes, that architectural piece is perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...