Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Our Classic Cottage Bedroom Reveal


Hello friends.

Today I decided it was finally time to share some updated pictures with you, so I bought some fresh flowers for this bedroom.... and here we go.
It feels like it's been forever since I started working on our master bedroom.
May has been an interesting month, lots of overcast days here by the beach, in addition to some stressful 'life' stuff I've been distracted by--- all of which adds up to a feeling of needing to go slower. Be easier with myself. Somehow (thankfully) I've managed to finish this bedroom despite my roving attention and it feels good to check this room off. 

Even though I expect a few more changes to come, at least for now the basics are done.

First let me give you an update on a few of my decisions.

Remember these two sets of mirrored doors that almost ran the entire length of our 18 foot wall?
The mirrors were the first thing you saw when you entered the room.


And now..... this is what you see when you step in the room.
Ok. So what happened with those sliding mirrored doors?
Well, after a lot of agonizing and googling ideas on updating mirrored doors with wood trim and paint,  I decided to go with my heart.  Once they were removed I just didn't have the energy to update them because the truth is, I just didn't want mirrored closet doors in this room.

And since we plan on consolidating these two little closets for one large walk-in at a later date... why not get rid of the doors now?

So once I framed out the closet openings I headed to Ikea where I bought two sets of white wood rods and white linen curtains.
And I have to say, once I cut the rods to size and put up the curtains it completely changed the entire vibe inside this room.
All this hanging white linen adds a ethereal lightness to the room now.
Or has the hubby says, "it feels more beachy now."
Tackling this room on a budget meant lots of painting. This included repainting both nightstands in SW Downing Sand and SW Dover White.

Before: TV Wall

Here's our TV wall right after it was painted in Farrell and Ball's Wimborne White.
Notice that dark wood dresser.


After: TV Wall
I painted this dresser in SW's Dorian Gray and replaced the hardware for an updated look.
These matching lamps were previously on our bedside tables but I replaced them with new lighting fixtures when I made the monogrammed headboard.


So far these Pottery Barn wall sconces- are perfect for reading in bed.

I made this new shelf using simple wood brackets and a ten inch wide plank from Home Depot that I painted in bright white. I think it adds interest and symmetry to an otherwise blah wall.
Notice those TV wires? They're (mostly) gone now.




Underneath the TV is a wood tray that hides the remote and TV receiver.
My original wish for this wall was No Wires Showing. I wanted all the TV wires to run behind the wall and even bought a kit from Lowe's that made cutting the holes easy
( we actually didn't need it)

 and once we ran the main wire behind the wall I realized I still had this one receiver wire that would be visible! 
I was bummed, but I put it inside one of those plastic wire covers and pretty much accepted it.

One of the first things I did when we moved into this house was replace all the  flimsy, old blinds with bamboo shades...
Before-Window Wall
After-Window Wall
---with new baseboards, window casing and curtains.

I added this trim to the pair of lined linen curtains I had stored away from my previous house. Thanks to Marty who let me know that Hobby Lobby has a good selection of affortable fabrics and trim there.

What I like most about our new lighting is that it allows us to have more space on top the night stands, although right now we're trying to keep them clutter free.
It feels much more restful and calming in here.






Well that's it. In case you're interested, here's how I put this room together.

Master Bedroom Budget Friendly Makeover

DIY monogrammed headboard : $155
breakdown:
plywood- $25;
foam, batting, and adhesive $52
fabric-3 yards @ $12 each=$36
monogram stitching $42
legs on headboard; one 2x4  (already had)

sisal rug: consignment store
vintage mirror over headboard: own
Botanical Prints behind night stands: consignment store
nightstands and dresser: own
bedding: own
bedskirt: fabric remnant cut into long strips & held with Velcro: $19
2 Pottery Barn Chelsea Swing Arm wall sconces: $276
shelf and wood brackets: under $25
misc books and art on shelf: own
2 wood trays- from HomeGoods $14.99 and $16.99
plant basket: thrift store $10

Whew, I think that's it. Let me know if you have any questions.
And thank you so much for following along on my little makeover.  I always appreciate hearing your ideas and opinions.
xo

Leslie

Share  your Cup
Thoughts of Home on Thursdays
Feathered Nest Friday

24 comments:

Stacey said...

Gwen, your bedroom makeover is amazing! The focus wall with the planking and monogrammed headboard is absolutely beautiful! The curtains on the closet were such a great idea and really soften the space. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Oh Leslie, this is SO pretty.....wow!! Calm, classic and beautiful, I would LOVE a room like this. I love the transformation, well done!! Xx

Unknown said...

I love your bedroom remodel Gwen. Every detail is perfect and the result is a peaceful haven. I can't wait to have my own complete but everything else seems to come before our place of rest. Ugh.
By the way, I tried to leave a comment from Bloglovin' and it wouldn't let me so I came over to your website. I've had this happen before and I'm wondering how many comments we miss from our followers on BL. Ugh!
Hugs,
Patti

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

As always Leslie,looks fabulous!! You have such a good eye for transforming a space into something warm and inviting. Thank you for your comments on my blog. Somehow I could not find your comments in my email to properly respond to you but I do appreciate your thoughts. Hope all is well in your part of the world. The sun is shining here and well, what more could we ask for.

Karen said...

Leslie,
What a transformation! Great job. I'm inspired by so many of the details. I love the dresser and shelf above the TV, it ties that space together in a cohesive and attractive way.
Hope all goes well with the life stuff and that you have a relaxing Memorial Day weekend.
Karen

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love the new look! You've done a fantastic job and it is very peaceful.

FlowerLady

Pier21cdn said...

Absolutely beautiful Leslie, love it!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

LESLIE! Good morning! An absolute marvel of a transformation here. And your photos have a professional quality to them that makes this a very interesting piece. I love that you used the linen curtains as a "door" to your closet. If you follow VELVET and LINEN (Brook Gianetti), you can see that she incorporated this style into her bedroom as well. I love the natural texture of the linen over the stiffness and hardness of glass. Your color scheme is peaceful, as it should be in my opinion, for a bedroom where you want peace!

Thank you so much for coming to visit my blog post. Spring has been so beautiful this year! Anita

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

OMG Leslie!!! It's gorgeous. As I type this I am sitting on the floor of my summer house in the garden, as my cottage is all being refurbished. I just wish I was as clever as you to do so much of it yourself. I LOVE the headboard so much.
What a great space you've created x

Art and Sand said...

Everything looks great, but I can't get past the beauty of the closet. I would never have thought to do that. It softens the room and gives it a romantic and beachy look.

It would have driven me nuts to sleep in the room and wake up to that wall of mirrors.

Carla from The River said...

Well done! I love it.
Thank you for the break down of the cost and locations you found your items. Much appreciated.
Enjoy your weekend,
Carla

Lincuden Cottage Life said...

Love, love love it!! So many gorgeous details to take in! Wonderful job. It is such a pretty and peaceful room. ;)

Calypso In The Country said...

Wow! It looks amazing! I love all the details like the panels on the closets and the shelf over the TV. The panels really do make the room feel light and beachy. Must be a great room to wake up in! Enjoy!
Shelley

Laura said...

Leslie- you have created a lovely haven- the perfect cure for 'roving attention' which I also have .
You have created such a lovely, elegant bedroom.
Have a restful weekend.

Laura

Stacey said...

So glad you shared this beauty at Thoughts of Home. :)

Have a great weekend!

Lori said...

It looks amazing Leslie ~ it it so calming and beautiful. Of course I had no doubt! xo

La Contessa said...

Beautiful and you have given me an idea with those curtains‼️BRAVA💥💥💥

Sarah said...

Beatufiul, restful space, Leslie. You did an amazing job!

Decor To Adore said...

What a truly charming transformation. Thank you so very much for joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Leslie... love your look in your bedroom. Love the drapes in place of the mirrored doors. Looks so cozy. Have a great week.

Art and Sand said...

Be sure to check out Share Your Cup this week. Your bedroom was featured.

Unknown said...

You're always so creative Leslie...love it all!
I spotted a book ~ Mindfulness, can't quite see who the author is...do you recommend it?

Lovely to see you on Instagram :)
Catherine xx
catherinerobinsoncashmere.com/blog

michele said...

i am in awe! oh my goodness, you totally called it a while back--your room is so much like our master! and i have got to throw away the closet doors asap. my husband has not yet given me the green light. i love that sconce you put between them as well. and the architectural interest you added behind the bed. is that a keyboard i spy in a before shot? and would that be your little fingers that tickle the ivories. i must know more since i think you know i'm a closet songwriter/musician. you have done an incredible job and i love love love that it was done with a realistic budget because i think it gets way more interesting when you can't just throw money at it. i can't wait to get together in person some day soon! you are a friggin DIY champion.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Beautiful job, Gwen! Those closet curtains really did the trick.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...